HOW TO SET UP FOR 1ST HARVEST: VIDEO TUTORIAL
HOW TO SET UP FOR 2ND HARVEST: VIDEO TUTORIAL
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Can I make more than one cut to the bag?
Do not make more than the ‘X’ that is marked on the bag. The cut should be an ‘X’ shape 2” in length and 1” in depth. After you make the cut, lift the flaps and gently scrape off the top to stimulate growth.
Will more mushrooms grow if I make more than one cut to the bag?
It is a common misconception that if you make more than one cut then you will get more mushrooms. However, more cuts will cause the mushrooms to dry out since the kit is only meant to support one harvest at a time. By making the single cut we instruct, you will get a big beautiful harvest.
When do I harvest the mushrooms?
Mushroom maturity is indicated when the mushroom spores start to drop, this is indicated when white spores start to drop under the mushroom cap. If you can’t tell when your spores drop then there are other ways I will list below…
- Pink Oyster: Maturity is indicated when the bright pink color starts to fade.
- Brown Oyster: Maturity is indicated when the cap edges start to curl, and when the color begins to fade.
- White Oyster: Maturity is indicated when the mushroom caps start to drop spores or when they start to change color.
There are mushrooms growing on the side, should I cut there?
No, do not make any additional cuts to the mushroom kit. Making additional cuts can cause the mushroom kit to dry out. It is normal to see growth around the mushroom block, just give it time and it will reach the ‘X’ cut.
Can it be grown outdoors?
No, it can not be grown outdoors. This mushroom kit is made to be grown indoors.
Does the mushroom kit need direct sunlight?
No, direct sunlight can cause the mushroom kit to dry out. The mushroom kit needs indirect sunlight, the best place to grow it is near a kitchen window.
Can I get more than one harvest?
Yes, we have a video tutorial on how to get a second harvest on this page.
Is the white or pink stuff mold?
That is mycelium, not mold. Since it is a live product, the kit can get mold but it is generally green or blue. If this is the case then please contact us, all of our kits are backed by our 100% Guarantee to grow promise.
The pink oyster is starting to smell like fish, is this normal?
Yes, the pink oyster is also known as Salmon Oyster due to its smell once its reaching maturity.
How long does the mushroom kit take to grow?
- Pink Oysters: You can expect to see mushrooms pinning within the first 7-14 days. After pinning starts, the mushrooms should double in size every day and should be ready to harvest shortly after.
- Brown Oysters: You can expect to see mushrooms pinning within the first 7-14 days. After pinning starts, the mushrooms should double in size every day and should be ready to harvest shortly after.
- White Oysters: You can expect to see mushrooms pinning within the first 14 days. After pinning starts, the mushrooms should double in size every day and should be ready to harvest shortly after.
How long does it take to grow after the first harvest?
It depends on the climate conditions in your area. Generally, it can take up to 2-3 weeks to see any growth. Make sure you keep the kit wrapped in the wet towel, this will help it grow faster.
Is this mushroom edible?
Yes, our mushrooms are edible once they reach maturity. They should always be cooked (never eat raw mushrooms).
Is this mushroom kit organic?
Yes, we use organic plant-based materials to make the substrate for all of our kits.
How long can the kit be stored before growing?
If the kit is stored in the box and kept in a dark setting, then it can last a few weeks. We recommend keeping them in a closet until you are ready to harvest.
Can I recycle this kit?
The organic plant-based materials in the kit make a great fertilizer for your outdoor garden. Your plants will love them!